S29º 49.704 E27º 35.981
Routes from major cities
Kroonstad – Ventersburg – Senekal,Marquard – Clocolan – Ladybrand – Maseru – Motsekuoa – Malealea
Harrismith – Golden Gate – Clarens – Ficksburg – Ladybra-nd Maseru – Motsekuoa – Malealea
Cape Town (1000km)
Colesburg – Bethulie – Smithfield – Rouxville – Zastron – Wepener – Mafeteng – Motsekuoa – Malealea
Stay overnight at Bethulie ex CT & Southern Regions – three hours to Malealea
Dewetsdorp – Wepener – Mafeteng – Motsekuoa – Malealea
Directions from Maseru
The distance to Malealea is 85km using the Maseru bypass that begins 1km from the border post. This route is the quicker one.
These are the directions to Malealea on the Maseru Bypass:
- Just after entering the Maseru border post, drive for 1km
- Turn RIGHT onto the Mafeteng Road. This bypass will take you past Maseru near the airport.
- Turn RIGHT. DO NOT TAKE THE ROMA OR MORIJA TURNOFFS, BUT DRIVE STRAIGHT SOUTH FOR 60 KMS FROM MASERU and continue until you get to the Motsekuoa turnoff (60kms from Maseru) to Malealea.
- Then follow the directions below from Motsekua.
Directions from Motsekuoa
- Opposite the Taxi Corner, turn onto a newly tarred road.
- Drive for 10km.
- Fork right.
- Drive for another 15km.
- Turn left onto a gravel road and travel 1km.
- Drive over the Gates of Paradise Pass and drive another 6km to Malealea Lodge.
- Drive through the entrance of the Trading Station & Horse Post (you wonder where you are!) and you will find the Lodge & gardens!
Driving in Lesotho
Carry 2 red triangles in your vehicle.
You are required to STOP at the STOP SIGN and WAIT for the policeman to signal to you to drive forward to where he is standing!. Most people pause at the Stop sign and drive up to the policeman without waiting for his signal. The police are very friendly when the above two conditions are in order. Roadblocks are held only occasionally and more often on long weekends and holidays. The policemen usually conduct a routine driver’s licence, lights and vehicle check and there’s rarely any problem at all!
Lesotho in a nutshell!